Wednesday, August 20, 2008

America in the World -- A Brit's View

America in the World

Cool site by a group of conservative British who are tired of rampant anti-Americanism in their backyard. One of the posts is about the British ignorance of America. I added this to the comments:

As an American (U.S. persuasion) , I love you Brits and what you taught us about responsibility in the world. I have been fortunate to spend many months in England and enjoyed traveling to Wales and Scotland.

I have enjoyed all the lectures about my ignorance, our bad beer, and our guns. I have laughed when Budweiser became a craze in London, or in the midst of being lectured on my ignorance been asked how close Las Vegas was to my home of Orlando. (5 hour plane ride! Why that's as far away as Moscow!) I love you when you tell me the U.S. is bloodthirsty then get to tour London and see all the statues of the great British warriors. Bloody indeed.

I enjoy your country immensely. But do not want mine to be like yours. I love our big houses in the suburbs with 3 car garages, our boats, our snowmobiles, our big pickup trucks and SUVs. Our hunting rifles and our handguns. Not to mention our unbelievable national parks, rivers lakes, two oceans and the gulf of Mexico.

I love the idea that many Americans (pre 9/11) could live a fabulous life and never use a passport. There is so much diversity in the U.S. Plus we could travel to Mexico, Canada, and the Caribbean Islands with just a drivers license for ID.

Most of all, I appreciate the UK for doing all the heavy lifting of creating the "Anglo sphere." That great group of sane countries that keeps fighting the good fight while maintaining a positive outlook and a good sense of humor. We Brits, Yanks, and Aussies are all different and all alike. And frankly would be surprised if we showed up at a crisis and didn't see each other doing their share of the work.