Friday, January 07, 2011

$200K in Student Loans for a BA from Northeastern?

My Very Costly College Education | The John William Pope Center for Higher Education Policy

Yikes! I'm an NU grad and left with my BS in 5 years and $1,200 in student loans. I lived at home while at school and away from home during some very lucrative co-ops. I drove a beat up 10 year old car that finally died during the last weeks of school. I also worked close to 30 hours a week flipping burgers at a Ground Round restaurant for the first three years at NU.

Makes all that sacrifice seem worth it when I left owing $198,800 less than Kelli Space. I hated writing all 12 $100 checks to pay off my student loan. I can't fathom what it must feel like to try to pay off $200K of student loans.

Here's a hint: there is no such thing as "good debt." Debt is debt. You are a fool if you are not carefully considering how you will pay off each and every dollar of your debt before you acquire it.