Friday, March 28, 2008

Online Photo Editing from Adobe

Adobe Photoshop Express - Made You Look.

I have a laptop I use for surfing while watching TV. All it has on it is Windows XP and Firefox. Every time I boot it up it takes about 5 minutes to check for virus updates, windows updates and other updates to installed programs. It seems like an awful lot of overhead to just want to find out who starred in the movie I'm watching on IMDB.com

There are now so many powerful tools that are online that I think I will switch the laptop over to Ubuntu. From within Firefox I can now run programs like

Adobe Photoshop Express
Picassa Photo Gallery
Google Docs (support excel, word and powerpoint like programs)
Google Calendar (now supports links to Blackberry!)
Gmail (and a bunch of other very good online email programs.)

So I could surf, email, write a letter, create a financial spreadsheet, or a presentation, look at and edit photos while throwing away anti-virus and weekly Microsoft updates.

Not to mention that the Ubuntu download includes OpenOffice which is a completely free competitor of Microsoft office and creates files that can be opened by MS Office.